Stornoway Airport (EGPO) lies 2.3 miles (3.7 km or 2 NM) east of the town of Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
Association with the Royal Air Force goes back to 1928 when a flying boat landed in Stornoway harbour, long before there was landing ground for wheeled aircraft. Grass runways were completed in 1937 and the airport was taken under military control in 1941. During the period 1986 to 1993, the airport was used as a NATO Forward Operating Base for Air Defence aircraft protecting the fleet, being taken over by the military for six weeks a year.
Now operated by Highlands and Islands Airports (HIA), the airport provides domestic passenger services (over 125,000 passengers a year) as well as hosting the HM Coastguard helicopter search and rescue and private aircraft flights. It is the gateway to the Western Isles of Scotland.
The Stornoway Airport download from Sim720 has been created as a replica of the real airport. All the buildings within the airport boundary have been hand modelled and textured, and placed with extreme accuracy, while the runways and taxiways are also exact matches to the real world surfaces. The Stornoway package also includes custom auto-generated buildings outside the boundary for further added realism, and airport clutter objects and custom made static aircraft provide an authentic real world atmosphere.
This add-on includes a separate configurator tool which enables you to configure settings such as AI traffic and scenery compatibility. This tool can be accessed in the Steam client under the Library/Tools menu.
- Photo-real layout and textures (30cm resolution within airport boundaries and 60cm resolution outside the boundaries)
- High-resolution ground polygon
- Hand placed hi-resolution buildings within airport boundaries
- Custom auto-generated buildings outside the airport boundary
- Extensive library of airport clutter
- Accurate taxiway lanes
- Custom-made static aircraft
- Custom night-lighting and improved runway lights
- 3D grass
- Compatible with Default, Orbx and Horizon