A total of 842 “Black Five” locomotives were built for the London, Midland and Scottish and later British Railways; and, a truly definitive add-on is unleashed, in the form of Partner Programme developer Bossman Games’ fantastic LMS Stanier Class 5!
What became one of the more memorable locomotives in British rail history starts its story in the early 1930s, when William Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS), sought to design a new and suitably powerful mixed-traffic locomotive. In his early LMS days, Stanier used his engineering skills which he acquired while working for GWR, however steadily refining and honing his own unique style of locomotive.
When the LMS needed more powerful traction, Stanier’s response was equivalent to the GWR’s Hall Class, a 4-6-0 with a rating of 5 for passenger, and 5 for freight – the Stanier Class 5.
Originally the Class 5 fleet was known as “Black Stanier”, in contrast to the “Red Stanier” Jubilee Class; however, when ‘5’ was seen adorned on the cab side from 1940 onwards, a new “Black Five” name befell the fleet.
The do-anything attitude of the Black Five saw their popularity rise with both crews and enthusiasts alike – it could turn up almost anywhere, get the job done, and look good while doing it – the fleet of 842 was a familiar sight right up until the end of steam.
The Black Fives were sadly scrapped in droves, but an impressive 18 were saved for use on both preservation railways and mainline railtours, and the preserved fleet has a history of ‘acting’ by means of temporary alternative numbers to revive lost members of the class.
- 10 Career Scenarios, 6 for the West Highland Line Extension, 2 for Settle to Carlisle and 2 for North Wales Coastal. All routes are available separately on Steam.
- Circa-2018 representations of preserved 45407, 44871 & 45212, including 45407's appearance as 45157 “The Glasgow Highlander”
- British Railways with Early & Late Emblem, Clean & Weathered
- LMS 1930s Lined Black, Unlined Black both Clean & Weathered
- Welded and rivetted tenders
- MK1 Coaches in BR Maroon with BR1 bogies
- Circa-2018 MK2A BFK Support Coach
BUY NOW! STEAM
DOWNLOAD/VIEW MANUAL - HERE