Situated on the southern outskirts of Berlin, the railway junction that spurs west from the Leipzig main line to Seddin is densely packed with freight throughout. Featuring miles upon miles of extensive freight yards and winding paths through the Berlin countryside, German heavy hauling does not get more intense than this. Experience the bustling freight yards of Seddin in this complex array of rails for Train simulator, courtesy of Partner Programme member, Aerosoft, as an extension to the popular Berlin-Leipzig route.
The freight yard at Seddin opened in 1920, and was quickly established as an international hub for rail freight. It connected with various lines, including the Anhalt Railway and the Berlin-Blankenheim Railway and provided links to many locations. Seddin’s Freight Yard played a significant role in military movements, in both leading up to and during the Second World War. Seddin was a major target for Allied forces during those 6 fatal years, in fact, the yard was bombed directly in April 1945.
Following the Second World War, with the division of Germany, new railways were built throughout the outskirts of Berlin to ensure rail connections were maintained to the western side of the cleft-in-twain city. These new railways were the Berlin Outer Freight Ring and, simply, the Berlin Outer Ring; Seddin’s freight yard was adjoined to the former, as its high-profile movements and service capabilities needed to have unrestricted access.
The yard itself spans a 5km by 300m area, housing some 100km of track. All this trackage is sandwiched within a dense forest, with the town of Seddin immediately adjacent to the eastern face of the yard.
The town’s local DB Regio station is on the western front of the vast track layout, seeing hourly services formed of DB BR 442 ‘Talent 2’s.
Perhaps the most iconic landmark in the area was the grand octagonal Water Tower, this impressive 51 metre tall structure symbolised the area, and was in fact marked as a Grade II listed building in 1993. Unfortunately however, it was decided to demolish the tower in 2004 due to a lack of stability. One historic structure that has survived right into modern day is an old coal loading bridge, as part of the locomotive depot, and is protected as a monument. The locomotive depot itself is also present and in frequent use with DB traction coming and going on a daily basis.
Even to this day, the freight yard at Seddin is of high importance, serving beyond the German borders into places such as Russia and helping Germany move one day at a time. Marshal your freight and hauling it over the Berlin-Leipzig line in Aerosoft’s Mighty Seddin Freight!
Note: The Berlin Leipzig Route Add-On is required, as a separate purchase, in order to utilise the content featured in this add-on.
- 40km Extension for the Berlin Leipzig Route Add-On (required as a separate purchase).
- Adds the extensive DB freight operations to the already bustling passenger services of the route.
- Includes the entire Seddin Rail freight yard and updates the route's eastern section to the south of Ludwigsfelde through Genshagener Heide, Cramerkurve and Birkengrund.
- Includes the route from Genshagener Heide to the old Airport Berlin-Schönefeld station, an additional starting point for freight and passenger trains (different from the Airport Berlin-Brandenburg-International station). The Berlin-Schönefeld Airport area and the new Berlin Brandenburg International Airport is outlined with large buildings, rotating radar, lighted taxiways and runway, and approaching and departing aircraft.
- Six additional stations show the atmosphere of four different eras of German railroad history. The area between Berlin-Schönefeld and Seddin has a historical bandwidth of around 100 years. Discover old buildings, lamps, bridges beside modern ones.
- See at night thousands of different lights beside roads and tracks and feel the ambience.
- Extensive rework of the HL signalling used for the freight yards.
- Includes the iconic Pro Range standard DB BR 232 in DB VRot and Railion liveries.
- Six Challenging Career Scenarios.
- Quick Drive compatible.
DOWNLOAD/VIEW MANUAL - HERE