One of the Great Western Railway’s most iconic tank engines, the Class 14XX, comes to Train Simulator complete with GWR autocoach.
Based on the ageing 517 Class, the first of the diminutive tank engines entered service in 1932 as part of the 48XX Class and designed for running autotrains when coupled to autocoaches on branch lines of the Great Western region. Twenty locomotives – classified as Class 58XX – were also built without fittings for autocoach running.
In the mid-1940s, the GWR experimented with oil burning locomotives, which saw the 48XX Class reclassified as 14XX Class, a classification they carried until the end of steam in Britain and their working life. The last 58XX Class locomotive was withdrawn in 1959 with the 14XX Class withdrawn from service by 1965.
Numerous autocoach designs were tried by GWR, many of them being converted from Steam Railmotors which were tried at the beginning of the 20th Century but had proven to be too impractical. Autocoaches were designed to be operated in conjunction with tank engines like the 14XX Class to provide push-pull services on branch lines and where locomotive turning was not possible.
All four variants of the Class are included for Train Simulator, including the GWR 48XX with autocoach fitted, GWR 58XX unfitted, BR 14XX with autocoach fitted and BR 58XX unfitted. The locomotive includes an array of features, including realistic cab with multiple views (including fully modelled firebox and coal), fully modelled and animated valve gear, realistic wheel slip physics, simulated steam chest, cylinder cock management, realistic injector control, opening windows with rain effects and dynamic lamp setting.
Also included is a Diagram A31 autocoach in both GWR and BR liveries, which can be used as a driving vehicle when attached to any consist.
- Class 14XX in British Railways livery with autocoach fitted
- Class 48XX in Great Western Railway livery with autocoach fitted
- Class 58XX in Great Western Railway and British Railways livery, unfitted
- Realistic cab with multiple views, including fully modelled firebox and coal
- Fully modelled and animated valve gear
- Realistic wheel slip physics
- Simulated steam chest
- Cylinder cock management
- Realistic injector control
- Opening windows with rain effects
- Dynamic lamp setting
- Diagram A31 autocoach in GWR and BR liveries
- Quick Drive compatible (Class 14XX, Class 48XX and Class 58XX only)
- Scenarios for the Falmouth Branch route, also available on Steam.