Ben Gurion airport, which today serves as the entrance and exit gateway of the State of Israel, was established by the British Mandate authorities in the Land of Israel as part of a broad plan to lay down airports in mandate-time (pre-state) Israel.
Since its establishment and to the present day, the airport has served as the main entrance and exit gateway for both the citizens and guests of the State of Israel, and as such bears witness to the history of the State and the main events which formed it.
In 1935 work began on the infrastructure and in April 1937 four concrete runways were completed, each 800m long and 100 m wide.
In 1937, the construction of an aircraft workshop (hangar) was started, in preparation for the Hannibal aircraft which were to arrive from the British “Imperial Airways”. This workshop that was built with the assistance of a German company continues serving El Al's Boeing jets to this very day.