McDonnell Aircraft's F3H Demon™ was the firm's first swept-wing jet fighter. The aircraft was conceived in 1949 as the XF3H-1™, with the first flight taking place in 1951. Unfortunately, the original power plant proved unsatisfactory, though despite this the F3H-1N™ set an unofficial time-to-climb record in 1955 of 10,000 feet in 71 seconds! In 1953, the Demon™ was refitted with the more powerful and reliable Allison J71 engine. This new engine substantially boosted the aircraft’s performance.
In 1956, the F3H-2N Demon™ was approved as a front line fighter with the U.S. Navy. In service, the Demon performed well, although it was still somewhat underpowered. It was a sturdy, stable platform under all flying conditions. The last of 522 Demons were delivered in 1959 and were not retired until 1964.
The FSX: Steam Edition of the McDonnell F3H-2 Demon, developed by Virtavia, is a faithfully replicated aircraft add-on with four different payload versions, various animations, and smoke trail effects. A great addition to any military fleet!
- Fully featured FSX native model (bump mapping, self-shadowing, bloom, etc)
- 4 loadout variations: 4x AIM-7, 2x AIM-7 & 2x AIM-9, 2x ferry tanks, 'clean'
- Authentic virtual cockpit with animations and clickable controls
- Authentic all-xml 2D panel, custom pop-ups for autopilot and radios, fully clickable
- Automatic (on throttle) afterburner visual effect with corresponding performance boost
- Animated wingfold, tailhook, speedbrakes, refuel probe
- Animated canopy
- Authentic flight model with checklist
- Realistic, animated crew figure
- Smoke trail effect
- Fully functional landing lights