As America’s railroads rapidly expanded in the mid-19th century, culminating with the opening of the great transcontinental railroad in May 1869, the nation’s steam locomotive workhorse was the 4-4-0. Indeed, the 4-4-0 “eight-wheeler” became so synonymous with U. S. railroading that it quickly came to be known as the “American” type.
Renowned Train Simulator creator Smokebox has brought 1860s railroading and the famed transcontinental railroad to captivating life with its Promontory Summit route and selection of historic Union Pacific and Central Pacific steam locomotives – and now, Smokebox brings to Train Simulator two more classic 4-4-0 “Americans” – Union Pacific sister locomotives No. 7, the “Omaha,” and No. 8, the “Idaho.”
Constructed by the Schenectady (N.Y.) Locomotive Works (a predecessor of the American Locomotive Works, or Alco), Union Pacific’s “Omaha” and “Idaho” were outshopped in March and April 1866 respectively and went to work on the then-under-construction transcontinental railroad. In design, Union Pacific Nos. 7 and 8 were similar to Central Pacific No. 60, the famed “Jupiter” of Golden Spike fame, which was also built at Schenectady.
Like all Smokebox locomotives, Union Pacific’s “Omaha” and “Idaho” feature extraordinary fidelity to detail and ultra-realistic interactive operating features and characteristics. Ideally suited for work on Smokebox’s Promontory Summit route (available separately), the classic 4-4-0s are accompanied in this DLC by Union Pacific emigrant coach with clerestory roof; UP combined caboose and coach; and UP baggage car, as well as three career scenarios for the Train Simulator Promontory Summit route.
- Union Pacific 4-4-0 No. 7, the “Omaha”
- Union Pacific 4-4-0 No. 8, the “Idaho”
- Highly detailed locomotives with accurate and colorful 1860s liveries
- Authentic operating characteristics with interactive controls and special effects
- Expert and simple operating modes; automatic fireman
- Union Pacific emigrant coach with clerestory roof
- Union Pacific combined caboose and coach
- Union Pacific baggage car
- 3 career scenarios for the Promontory Summit route, also available on Steam
- Quick Drive compatible
DOWNLOAD/VIEW MANUAL - HERE