Haul the fuel of a nation in Creative Rail’s East Midlands Coal route, which has arrived for Train Simulator in classic British Rail fashion!
The coal industry and railways historically go hand in hand, once upon a time all locomotives were fed by coal, but even once those days had past it still fell upon the railway to transport coal to power stations all across the country. One such was High Marnham Power Station in Nottinghamshire, one of three fossil fuel plants that were situated along the path of the River Trent – combined, they colloquially made the area known as the “Megawatt Valley”.
Where there were power stations, there was coal to fuel them, and an abundance of it lay beneath the East Midlands soil. In all, 8 collieries were connected to High Marnham Power Station (although a total of 17 actually served it), and each were connected by the High Marnham branch line; a 14-mile stretch of railway that separated off from the Robin Hood Line.
In order to facilitate faster unloading of coal at power stations, the “merry-go-round” (or MGR) system was introduced; MGR trains would deposit coal while on the move, loop around the power station or run around the consist and head straight back to a colliery to pick up more. This seemingly endless operation served power stations for decades, and in some cases, British Rail ordered locomotives specifically for coal-hauling MGR duties.
However, with the decline in the industry and the turn towards nuclear and greener ways of generating the nation’s electricity, there was a lesser need for coal-fired power plants and High Marnham eventually closed in 2003.
While confined to the history books, you can get a taste for MGR coal services at their 1980s best, as Creative Rail have brought the dusty beauty of East Midlands Coal to life in Train Simulator!
- 25-mile route from Sherwood to High Marnham
- 6 collieries; Sherwood, Shirebrook, Clipstone, Warsop, Thoresby & Ollerton
- Key Locations; Shirebrook TMD, Mansfield Concentration Sidings & High Marnham Power Station
- BR Class 56 diesel locomotive in BR Corporate Blue, BR Large Logo, BR Railfreight & BR Coal Sector liveries
- Sentinel diesel shunter in NCB Blue livery
- Period-accurate details such as signal boxes, semaphore signalling and detailed track with 3D wooden sleepers
- Historical “merry-go-round” operations, and more, brought to life across 9 Career scenarios
- Quick Drive compatible
In order to play all of the scenarios included with this route, you will also require the following: